Pageless Books and Success

A Journal of the Creation, Building, Opportunities and Successes of the Home-Based Business Ventures!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Getting Items to Sell On Ebay


I started my internet business by buying and selling on e-bay. I would get up early (that's the key) Saturday mornings with $100 - $150 cash in small bills, a map I made of all the good yard sales listed in the newspaper, and I would buy. After returning home with a car-load of stuff, I would list it on e-bay.

I learned, by trial and error, what things would sell and what wouldn't and would make a decent amount after expenses... usually around $500 - 600 a week NET. When I went full-time, I made PowerSeller in 90 days.

My suggestions:


1. Haggle! Say, "all I have is $10 (show them the $10 bill alone).. will you take that?" Usually, they will.


2. Get new items and AS SEEN ON TV items. Audio books are good too. Make sure that the items are working while you are at the yard sale. Most yard sales will have these in original boxes where people got them as gifts or impulse purchases and never used them. Also, designer clothes do well too. As for anitques and collectibles, you have to know what you are doing.

3. When listing them, write (or copy and paste) as much as you can about the product. Take pictures that are big (700 pixels wide) , upload the pictures to your own host and copy them into the description - - that way, you will not have to use e-bay's expensive picture service.


4. I am not a fan of consigning unless the item is higher than $100 in value. Even then, I think you are better off to buy the item from someone. Get listed in e-bay's Trading Assistant program and that sould generate some good Consignment calls for you.


5. While you are hunting for goods, have someone available via cell phone at their desk to look things up for you on e-bay or Andale to see how they are selling currently while you are shopping. I found a bunch of unopened Cabbage Patch Kids, but the seller wanted too much for them. I knew this because my wife was on the phone with me looking up their value on e-bay.

6. You can always belong to a wholesale buying group. I belong to a few of these. E-bay and I recommend Let me know if you have any questions. There are some very good guides out there. I recommend the Auction Secrets program (that's what I used to increase my bids and profits about 25-35%) and the e-bay forums are really good too for getting quick tips on everything from postage to fees. I will be listing some auction e-book packages on the website soon. Hope this helps .


-Rob Dearmon
PagelessBooks.com